Thursday 25 December 2014

It's Christmas Day!

As I woke up in the morning, I realised it's a day of joy and happiness. A day when miracles happen overnight or anytime of the day. It's been years since God performed a miracle kind of miracle for me, yeah, He did help me along the way, but it wasn't huge. So, I woke up on Christmas morning with high hopes in my heart, as I sipped my coffee, I was full of positive energy and happiness.
I even called an old friend, to whom I had stopped talking ages ago. I did everything in my power to make the day seem holiday like. Well, of course, leaving binge eating aside, I can't afford to do that, so, I did all the positive things I could.
I messaged everyone in my friendlist a 'Merry Christmas', something I hadn't done for years, I put up statuses on my WhatsApp and Facebook account wishing everyone a 'Merry Christmas'. I thought maybe, a miracle was on the way, I finished my workout, had my eggs and left for home.

Now, to be noticed is one thing, till this time, nothing miraculous had happened, I was walking and walking and walking, but then, I was stopped by a boy. He must have been really small, he looked up at me and said,"Shoe polish sir, your shoes look dirty..."
I said,"Sorry son, sports shoes, they can't be polished, I was them every month."
"Oh, ok, sorry sir, thank you sir."
As he was leaving, I realised it was Christmas, and I wanted to do something that I felt I would help the poor lad, so I called him and held out a 100-rupee note. Surprisingly, he nodded his head in disagreement, I got shocked, then I said,"I can buy you something to eat son,"
"Sorry, sir, I want to change India, if I take strange gifts it might become a habit later on, and then I could never change our country. I want only what I can earn."
This sentence moved me to my core. As he walked away and I traveled closer to home slowly, I realised one thing, if he could do this thing, at his age, at his financial state, we can at least do our bit to avoid corruption, at least wherever possible, then slowly, we can move to a stage where there would be no corruption.
I mean, this guy needed money the most, but he didn't take money, you know what, India can change and this will be our gift to the country, the people's gift, a corruption-free nation.
'Merry Christmas India!'

No comments:

Post a Comment